Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Helloooo San Antonio!

Last month we packed up everything we owned in our two trucks and started the 1200+ mile trip from Provo, Utah to San Antonio, Texas. My dad graciously drove with us so we could have a 3rd driver to keep us company. The only furniture items we had were Dave's big screen TV and the $100 King gel matress that Jeff & Becca got us a great deal on (which we kept in the plastic and used as a cover for the bed of my truck)



We got a little bit of rain here and there until we got into Texas, where we seemed to be right alongside these huge dark clouds the whole time. About three hours out of San Antonio the road turned right into the clouds and we hit a pretty big storm with some nasty crosswinds. In the truck with my dad we felt this huge gust of wind that really shook the car. My dad goes, "What was that? I just saw David swerving, I hope we didn't lose anything." I turned back and everything looked normal until I realized that I could actually see out the back window. Rather than the mattress blocking most of the view in our rear window we noticed it was gone! We pulled off into the median and jumped out in the pouring rain to see if we could go find our mattress before someone got hurt. Turns out a cross wind somehow got our mattress unstrapped and flipped it over. Luckily it was still strapped on in the back so it was just hanging off the back of the truck, bouncing up and down. The plastic was a little scratched up but the mattress was just fine. We had a few minor casualities of a couple things that flew out, but I'm still grieving and not ready to talk about it yet.


We went out Monday morning to start apartment searching, armed only with some information from a couple local bishops. I guess it's not a common thing to move in in just one day so most of the complexes we visited couldn't get us in that day. We were starting to get a little worried when we saw a complex off to our left that wasn't on our list. They had an apartment all ready for move in that day and it was the best option we had found so we went for it. So, in one afternoon we got renters insurance, contacted both of our previous landlords, filled out an apartment application, passed credit checks, and waited for the managers application approval. The leasing office closed at 6 but we were in there til 8 and there were some dark clouds with lots of thunder coming in. As soon as we got the ok, my dad and David went to start unpacking while I stayed and went over the whole contract and signed a 13 month lease. They got everything inside except the TV before it started to pour.


And to top off the crazy day, they had parked in the fire line to unpack everything and the battery died so we couldn't move my truck. AAA came out and took care of us though. My dad was really enjoying one of his first Texas rainstorms. It was one of the craziest days of our lives, but in the end everything worked out perfectly.




Finally, home sweet home :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, even without furniture, an apartment in San Antonio is one bajillion times better than an apartment in Provo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries about losing stuff, Lisa, because you know what that means? Shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Wow, crazy story! After I came home from my mission I went to my brother's house to pick up all my stuff and just as I was turning the corner (that intersection on University Prkwy and 2230 north right where 24hr fitness is) and the hatch on pickup bed opened and all my my stuff went EVERYWHERE! Haha! All over University Pkwy! I tried to pick up whatever I could on the side of the road while cars passed by. I wanted to die of embarrassement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that's even crazier than my story! I hope you were able to get pick up everything and that someone was there with you to help. I'll count my blessings :)

    ReplyDelete