Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

Dream Job

One of my favorite movies has always been Miss Congeniality.  I've always wanted to be a spy, I love finding out secrets, including exactly what I'm getting for Christmas and my birthday and who has who for any Secret Santa gifts.  The day I saw Miss Congeniality I discovered my dream job, I would love to be just like Sandra Bullock in that movie.

When we moved here to San Antonio I applied to all sorts of Linguist jobs, including the FBI, just for fun.  I heard that it takes years to get hired, but I just did it to say that I tried.  Well, surprisingly enough, over a year later, I got a call from the FBI asking me to come in and test for a Linguist position. Who would've thought!

  The test was 5 hours, I thought I was going to die and almost thought about leaving half way through because it was tough! Luckily I brought plenty of snacks. All of the listening clips were of mumbled Spanish slang with loud sirens and street noises in the background.  In that moment I really wished I were one of the three native Spanish speakers testing in the room with me. 
Security was pretty intense there, no cameras or cell phones, but I managed to snap this picture on my way out of the parking lot.  It'll take another few months before I even get my test results back from DC headquareters and then years after that to get hired.  So for now, I'm proud to say that say that at least I got an interview at the FBI.  I feel so accomplished.

1 comment: