Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Working Californians

We've both been so blessed to find jobs that we love!

Dave is an account executive for a smaller big data company with about 75-80 employees. They do technology and predictive marketing for real estate agents and he loves it.  He's been given the Nevada/Utah territory to sell in and does really well there.  Most of his work is on the phones, with the option to travel if there is some kind of trade show or real estate convention going on, which might happen a few times a year.  He's surrounded by people his age and interacts with the CEO and CFO on a regular basis.  He's got a great trainer who has been working right alongside him helping him learn it all.  Plus, they're always bringing in lunch for everybody, which is just one of those extra perks that makes a big difference.  We have the most amazing health insurance through them where our monthly premiums, deductible and co-pays are half the price we were paying in Texas.  It is such a blessing that has been just what we needed.  He rides his bike the 5 miles round trip everyday and is grateful he doesn't waste any time commuting .Yet the biggest blessing has been the fact that Dave has a base salary.  His last job was purely commission based and it was tough not having a steady pay check. Now we are able to live off of his base salary alone and his commissions are just a bonus that we throw into savings.  It's a great feeling, especially since we have a baby on the way!

As if we're not blessed enough with Dave's new job, I was able to find a job that I love and start working, all within a month and a half.  I'm working at an English as a second language school in Berkeley.  It's right across from the UC Berkeley campus and is for high school graduates and up.  Some are needing to pass the program in order to be allowed to apply to an American university for undergrad or a masters and some are just sent here by their country or job to learn English.  There are students from all over the world, but the majority seem to be from Asia and the Middle East.  They are all so eager to learn, I love it!  I run from class to class and the time seriously flies by.It's a lot of work, but the students are so fun and they definitely make it worth it. The building I work in is an old dorm surrounded by frat houses.
There are classrooms intermingled with dorm rooms.   One morning I got there a half hour early and I ran up to the 3rd floor to make copies in the computer lab, came around the corner and almost collided with one of the students. He was just coming out of the bathroom after his shower, with only a towel wrapped around his waist, awkward!

Our life is so good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment