Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Day 1279 (aka 3 1/2 years)

Time is sure flying by.  We just hit 3 1/2 years of wedded bliss.  Since it was our half anniversary, we decided to celebrate everything 1/2 style, starting out with an early morning trip to the stores for 50% off Halloween candy.  

 Side story: I look forward to the day after Halloween and Easter all year round.  50% off all mini sizes really helps with rationing and it's a great price. In San Antonio, I'd get to the stores very early and it would be a mad house, people everywhere and the candy would already be picked over.  I had the day off, so I woke up early and dragged Dave with me to Walmart (he had gone to a late night movie premiere and was out pretty late, but he knows how important this is to me)  We got there about 1/2 hour after it opened and they hadn't even put all their Halloween candy out or marked it down yet!  We had to check every bag with their scanner to see the price. We grabbed 2 big bags and I rushed Dave over to work for an all day conference.  I decided to try out a couple more stores before heading home.  Even 24-hour Safeway hadn't marked their stuff down yet.  I called a couple other stores that all said to give them a couple hours to get it all set up.  I guess bargain candy shopping isn't as important here in Pleasanton as it was in San Antonio.  I decided to go home for a nap and after pulling in to our complex realized that Dave had the house keys and his phone was turned off for this conference.  The office didn't open for an hour, so I decided to walk across the street to the other Walmart to stall and use the bathroom.  Of course, I walk in and the bathrooms are all closed for some major plumbing issue.  Since I still had 45 minutes to kill I had no choice but to ask if they had any leftover candy.  They directed me to a huge stack of boxes and said they hadn't had a chance to put it all out yet, but everything there is 1/2 off.  So I went to town digging through rows of boxes.  It was probably quite the scene seeing a pregnant lady moving boxes and standing on shelves to dig in candy boxes.  Soon a few others joined me and we helped each other find all of our favorites.  I ended up buying 6 more smaller bags of candy...I feel I had no choice since I was stranded there.  I would've bought a lot more had we not already bought the 2 big bags earlier.  Finally satisfied I walked back to the office and got another key to get into my apartment.

I ended up getting 12.335lbs of 15 different varieties of individually wrapped candy for just under $20.  Happy 1/2 anniversary to us!

For dinner we decided to do Olive Garden and their buy one entree get a second free to take home.  We ordered 2 meals, filled up on breadsticks and salad and split one meal, then took one home along with our 2 to-go meals.  I feel like I got my money's worth and it was delicious.  I can't wait til next years 1/2 anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment