Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Texas or BYU, Texas or BYU?

Back when we were dating, while attending BYU, Dave heard the announcement that BYU would play University of Texas on September 10, 2011.  He was pretty excited and shared with me that he'd really like to go to that game.  After we were married and decided we'd be moving to San Antonio, that same idea came back and he started inviting all of our friends to come down to Texas and stay with us before the game (still over a year away at this time)

We were sitting in Dave's office on Thursday and I noticed he was reading some articles on the game.  All of a sudden it all came back- how excited he was for this game over a year and a half ago.  I told him that if he could find some reasonably priced tickets, we could go.  He jumped right on that and found there were still actually quite a few tickets left and they weren't as expensive as we had thought.  So, we bought them and headed up to Austin for the game on Saturday night.

After a little debate, we decided we'd stay true to our alma mater and put on some BYU gear.  I'll admit it, I've never been a huge fan of BYU sports, they've just never been that good, so I've never gotten that into it. So I debated going neutral and just cheering for whoever was winning, mostly to save us from being attacked by hardcore Texas fans.  We did have some blue face paint, so that convinced me.
We definitely stood out in the sea of orange!  At one cross-walk, everyone was stopped and we were seriously standing there surrouded by a hundred others, all in orange.  I did see these two really big, tough-looking dudes up front in blue shirts so we went and stood by them :)  I felt much better walking to the stadium alongside two huge guys also dressed in blue, one of which son's plays on the BYU team.
We were on the second to last row at the very top, home (shady) side. All the Texas fans loved making the longhorn hand gesture.  Here's what I have to say about it!!!
In case you didn't hear, BYU lost.  They had a great first half, but then fall apart.  But of course, we had fun anyways and Dave's already looking forward to the next time BYU comes to Texas.

1 comment:

  1. Niiice. Glad you all had fun! And I do have to say, UT had me worried for a while... But of course they pulled on through! Our topic the next day at church was enduring to the end. Needless to say, BYU was poked at just a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete